Nobody could understand the pain of adult diaper rash other than people who have been going through it. A number of reasons can cause Adult Diaper Rash and cause some serious damages to your skin.
Our thigh skin is usually very sensitive and tends to get affected by the little disturbance. Therefore, the rashes caused due to the adult diapers are very irritating and tends to take more curing time than the normal rash on another part of our body.
Sometimes, diapers are not the cause of the adult diaper rash. Sometimes it can also be caused due to improper care, lack of proper hygiene steps and the quality of the clothes. Although, it is pretty difficult to find one definite reason behind the adult diaper rash if you are suffering from this problem then, you might need to dig deeper into this article because we have got some really interesting information for you which can make your life easier.
What is Adult Diaper Rash?
Adult diaper rash is one of the skin conditions in which skin tends to develop the irritating red bumps, and rashes due to the diapers. Most of the people hold the perception that diaper rash is only common amongst the infants and toddlers. However, these types of rashes are also common amongst the women because they tend to wear the undergarments and pads on a frequent basis.
Adult diaper rash is usually caused due to the trapping of moisture inside the skin. Which ultimately leads to dry skin backed by the feeling of itchiness. If you are having excessive itching near your undergarments then, your skin might be developing the adult diaper rash.
Causes of Adult Diaper Rash:
Some of the common reasons through which you can get exposed to the adult diaper rash are discussed in the section below.
- Adult diaper rash can be caused due to the excessive chafing and rubbing of a pad
- Trapping of moisture due to the improper changing routine.
- Poor Hygiene care
- Allergic reaction to any of medications or accessories like perfumes or creams
- Bacterial or fungal infections can also be one of the reasons behind the adult diaper rash.
Treatment for Adult Diaper Rash:
Use of ACV with Coconut Oil:
Apple Cider Vinegar can do wonders for you and for your damaged skin. Apple cider and coconut oil consist of the strong capabilities which can perfectly heal your skin and reduce the chances of rashes. For effective results, we would recommend you to go for the natural apple cider vinegar.
- Take 2 tbsp. of coconut oil and melt it perfectly
- Now take 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar and mix it with the coconut oil.
- Mix both the ingredients pretty well.
- Now take the cotton swab and dip it into the mixture.
- Now apply the mixture on your skin and let it set at least for 15-20 minutes.
- If washing is not important then, leave the mixture for as long as it is possible
- Repeat the steps daily for best results.
Aloe Vera & Honey:
Aloe Vera is the best yet most cost-efficient remedy for the adult diaper rash. The combination of Aloe Vera with honey will not only reduce the intensity of rashes, but it will also heal your skin while taking a perfect care of the present collagen.
- Take two tbsp. of natural Aloe Vera gel and blend it perfectly
- Now take 2 tbsp. of honey and pour it into the blended aloe Vera. Re-blend the mixture and ensure that it is smooth
- Now take the soft cloth and apply the mixture on your skin.
- Let the mixture rest at least for 20-30 minutes for best results. If you have sensitive skin with dry texture then, you should repeat these steps on a frequent basis for acquiring fast
Cornstarch is known for making your skin better while working around the itchy factors and the dry patches on your skin. If the itchiness on rashes is making your life miserable then, you should decide to use the cornstarch mixture.
- Use 2 tbsp. of cornstarch and mix it with the water.
- Pour water while monitoring the consistency of the mixture. The paste should be light and thick in texture.
- Once the paste is created, now take the cotton swab and apply the mixture on your skin gently. It is recommended to test the mixture before fully applying it because people with sensitive skin tend to get little itchy feeling while applying the mixture.
- Leave the mixture on your skin till it properly dries. For removing the mixture, try using the soft cotton cloth with cold water
- Repeat the steps thrice a week for effective results. Avoid using the mixture on a very frequent basis as it could lead to irritation if used excessively.
Essential Oil Spray:
It won’t be wrong to state that essential oils are the gift from nature. If you do not have interest in using any of the OTC treatment and other home remedies for the adult diaper rash and looking for the easiest solution. We would definitely recommend you to go for the essential oil spray.
For making this spray, you can use any of the essential oil. However, we would recommend you to go for the lavender essential oil.
- Take one spray based water-bottle and properly clean it.
- Now take the essential oil and pour a little amount of coconut in it to balance the consistency of the oil
- Now pour the oil inside the spray and leave it for the overnight. Once you leave the oil for the longest period of time, the oil will mix with the essential oil and will be able to give the best
- Once the oil is ready, now spray the affected area and let the spray rest at least for an hour. The longest you leave the oil, the better results you will get.
- Repeat the steps on a daily basis because this mixture will keep your skin moisturized and healthy.
In order to cure the adult diaper rash, you don’t really need to go for oral medications. This problem is curable with the help of some useful creams and ointments
However, before you decide to apply any ointment on your skin, you should decide to test the product to avoid allergies or more rashes.
- Balmex adult cream is one of the most effective creams which can help in reducing the adult diaper rash without causing any skin damage. If you are suffering from the painful adult diaper rash then, balmex is the right option for you,
- Z-Bum is another best adult diaper rash cream. Which aims to perfectly heal your skin and cure it of the core without leaving any marks on your skin.
- Desitin Rapid adult diaper rash cream is usually suitable for those individuals who are suffering from the initial phases of the rashes. If you have the sensitive skin and also developing the rash then, you should use this cream.
Instructions for Application:
- For applying any of the adult diaper rash cream, you need to clean the affected area. If the area is not clean properly then, the cream can increase the level of moisture in the skin thus leading to more rubbing and irritation in the future.
- For cleaning the area, you can use the soft cotton cloth soaked in the clean cold water,
- After cleaning, apply the cream on your skin with the help of application spatula or your fingers.
- Now properly rub the cream all over the area and leave it there at least for 5 to 10 minutes.
- If you are suffering from the painful rash then, you should leave the cream on your skin for as long as it is possible.
- For removing the clean, you can use the non-alcohol and fragrance-free cloth or tissue.
It won’t be wrong to state that prevention is always better than the cure and if the prevention is present before time then, it can make your life extremely easier.
- If you are on your periods then, you should change your pad as soon as it gets dirty. The longer you leave the dirty pad on your skin, the more rashes it would create.
Dirty pads are not only capable of causing the rashes. They also increase the chances of allergy, and sting and other serious skin related issues.
- Once you have removed the adult diaper, try treating that area of your skin very gently.
As rashes are caused due to the constant rubbing of the diaper on your skin, therefore, for cleaning purposes, you need to be a little gentle. While cleaning that area, try using the soft cloth soaked in cold water.
You can also use the non-alcohol and fragrance-free rubs for cleaning the area properly
- Discontinue the use of low-quality adult diaper or even the underwear. If it’s the first time that you have developed the rash from an adult diaper then, try switching the brand.
- Try changing your pads after every 12 hours in order to avoid the chances of rashes or any allergy.
You should change your underwear ona frequent basis because sometimes allergy or is not caused due to the adult diaper, it is caused due to the underwear clothes.
- When suffering from the adult diaper rash, avoid wearing tight clothes. Such clothes might control the overall flow of air thus leading to extra moisture at the targeted area.
- Adult diaper rash could also lead to the skin infection if the rash is not going away with treatment and proper care then, you might need to see your doctor as soon as possible because your rash might be giving an indication about the skin problem.
We totally understand the fact that adult diaper rash is a very painful situation. It not only disturbs your body, but it also impacts your walking style and makes your entire day very difficult. If you want to get rid of it, you should look for some remedies and treatments which could be useful. The above discusses treatment procedure is not only effective. It also aims to keep your skin safe from future damages.
For instance, most of the OTC creams tend to damage your skin tissues to the core. Thus, making the skin layer dull and very rough. However, if you decide to opt for the right remedies, you can make your life super easier without any difficulty. We do understand that it is pretty hard for you to opt for the proper routine. Always remember that prevention and little care is always better than the painful treatment procedure.
Any question or queries? Feel free to leave your comments below in the comment section.
If you are suffering from any of the skin or health-related problems and wants a rapid yet most effective solution, leave your query below and our experts will get back to you soon.