Dry scalp is not just a problem for adults infect it is a common problem in babies that make their scalp dry. Sometimes the parents get worried due to the dry and flaky scalp of babies. The babies may start to feel irritated and be itching on the scalp. The baby dry scalp is also known as cradle cap.
Hair loss in the babies is an alarming situation for parents that will warn them about their scalp conditions. These symptoms may start to appear in the first year of their growth. Their initial hair’s head will fall out in the years of their birth, but it will quickly replace by the healthy and new hair.
As a parent, if you start to feel that your baby is suffering from a severe condition of hair loss or dry scalp. Then you need to concern with a child specialist or a doctor that have great experience in scalp conditions. They will diagnose the issue and then give you suggestions or treatment to your baby by depending on the situation. The baby’s scalp is one of the most sensitive parts of their body so do not apply anything directly without the permission of the doctor or specialist.
Baby Dry Scalp:
During the birth, the oil production glands on the head of the baby can sometimes convert into an overstimulated situation that can become a cause of the imbalance. Dryness on the scalp of a baby can also become a cause of yeast or fungal infection that can convert into worst condition if not treated on time.
Scaly scalp or the Infant cradle cap does not become a cause of poor allergic reaction or hygiene as well which is considered a natural condition that will affect the young infants as well as clears up on its own. Severe cases of seborrheic dermatitis or scaly scalp should treat by a pediatrician or PG.
Cradle cap can affect the scalp of a baby that also spread around their nose, ears as well as an eyelid. It may appear as flaky red or white patches. If you are feeling that your baby is suffering from such type of issue. You need to take medical advice before starting any treatment. This condition most commonly appears between the two weeks and three months of your baby’s birth and it gets completely clear within the seven months of their age. If it doesn’t clear, then you should talk to a medical expert and get proper treatment.
There can be different causes, symptoms, and treatment for this problem. As a medical specialist, I’ve done a lot of research on this issue. You can find some important things that will help you a lot to know more about it and tell you that how to get rid. So you do not need to worry about it because it’s a natural problem, but you should take care of it otherwise it can convert into the worst infection.
Causes of Baby Dry Scalp:
The baby dry scalp is a common problem among babies some may face this issue by birth. And in some babies, it will start to appear after their birth. There can be different causes of scalp dryness in babies.
Here we are going to tell you some causes that will help you to know more about this situation. These causes are:
- The cause of baby dry scalp may occur due to the hormones that will pass into the baby from his or her mother before birth. These hormones can become a cause of sebum (too much production of oil) in their hair follicles and oil glands as well. There is a reason due to which the oil glands can get overactive. Because the hormones of mother will stay in the body of the baby for a number of months after their birth.
- Another cause of the baby dry scalp can be yeast or scalp fungus. Which is known as Malassezia that will grow in the sebum along with the bacteria. An antifungal treatment just like ketoconazole and often effective will support the idea that yeast is a factor of contributing dryness. The fungal infection can occur in result of a mother taking antibiotics before the birth of a baby. The antibiotics will help to destroy the damages that a baby can face after birth but. It sometimes also destroys some useful bacteria that will make safe the baby from any fungal infection.
- The dry scalp can also appear in the result of overactive fungal infection, glands of sebaceous or because of both reasons. The glands of sebaceous can be found in the skin that will produce oil such as substance which is known as sebum. The overactive glands of the sebaceous can produce a lot of sebum from the baby’s scalp skin. And it can prevent the old cells of skin from falling off and drying the scalp instead of sticking off to the scalp.
- According to a research eczema on scalp and asthma is another reason that can become a cause of baby dry scalp.
These are the causes that may turn into the result of the baby dry scalp. But still, according to some research, it is not clear. What are the exact causes of the baby dry scalp but it cannot become a cause of bad hygiene. So it is important that you should concern with a doctor if your baby is facing such type of condition they will treat them under their observation and care.
Preventions of Baby Dry Scalp:
If your baby is suffering from a dry scalp. Then you just need to take special care and some preventions to stop going the situation worst. It will help to recover the baby dry scalp condition and stop making spots on the scalp.
There can be different preventions for baby dry scalp these preventions can:
- Prevent your baby from the High UV rays of the sun that may damage their scalp skin. Do not take your baby outside especially between 1 pm to 4 p.m.
- Apply moisture on their scalp that will help to prevent their scalp from extra dryness.
- Do not use any local or adult’s shampoo on the baby’s scalp. Because it can become a cause of infection on their scalp and make it dry. So it is better to use baby products such as baby shampoo and conditioner. Because they do not contain any chemical that may damage the scalp of the baby.
- Wear them a cap or hat when you are going outside in the sun.
Symptoms of Baby Dry Scalp:
The baby dry scalp has some symptoms that will help parents to know about the situation. With the help of knowing these symptoms, the parents can easily diagnose the issue. According to my experience and doing a lot of research on it. I’ve found some symptoms that will help you to diagnose this issue.
These symptoms are:
- Yellow, red or greasy patches on baby’s scalp.
- Thick yellow crust or patchy scaling on the scalp.
- Dry and oily skin that may cover with a flaky scalp of yellow or white scales.
- Dandruff that looks like flakes on the baby’s scalp skin.
- Possibly the redness of mild.
- Areas on the baby’s scalp that will look like scales and affect the areas of your scalp that can go red.
The cradle cap is a condition that may start from the scalp of the baby. And it can spread on some specific areas around baby’s scalp such as nose, eyes, ears, knees, groin, backs or armpits as well. It can also appear in the form of red, yellow or white patches on these areas.
Baby Dry Scalp Treatment:
If your baby is suffering from a dry scalp. Then you must need some treatment to prevent their skin from any further damage. You can use the simple methods that can give them relief because it is a natural condition in babies. But if you find it worst, then you should concern with a child specialist. Different things will help you treat this skin condition. These treatments can be:
How to keep scalp moisturized? It is a most common question for the baby’s scalp. Most of the people may not now that how can they keep the scalp of their baby moisturized. Moisturizing is one of the most important things to keep the scalp healthy. You can get different oils and creams for your babies that will help to keep their scalp moisturized and to get rid of dry scalp skin.
Use Soft Brushes:
You should use soft brushes on the scalp of your baby that will not harm their scalp skin. Use it in a small circular motion as you do it with your fingertips. The bristles of the soft brushes and their movement in a circular motion will help their skin to loosen the excess of dry skin that you can easily wash away.
Use Mild Baby Shampoo:
After brushing the scalp of your baby, you should wash their hairs with mild baby shampoo. Apply the shampoo into their hairs and leave it just for a few minutes while you will give bathe to your baby. In that way, the shampoo will get enough time to break up the oil. And you can easily wash out the hairs of your baby. After completing this process, you need to make sure that the shampoo is washout completely. Because if it is still in their hairs, it can become a cause of any severe infection or damage. They may start to feel irritated, and the situation can convert into worst.
After applying these treatments on the scalp. You will start to see the prominent results in just a few days and your baby can get a healthy scalp. But you need to carry out these things until your baby does not get rid of it. If you feel that the situation is not turning into a better condition. Then you need to concern with a child specialist who can diagnose the issue and give the baby treatment for this scalp problem.
There are some home remedies that you can apply on your baby’s scalp if they are facing dry scalp skin issue. As a medical specialist, I recommend the parents to apply these home remedies. According to my experience, these remedies will help you a lot to take out your baby from dry scalp skin condition.
Olive oil is considered an all-rounder home remedy that will help you to get rid of different scalp conditions. Put few drops of olive oil on your palm and then apply it on your baby dry scalp and start to massage gently. Use gentle pressures on their scalp and make small circular motions with the help of your fingertips.
Aloe Vera Gel:
Aloe Vera gel is another natural ingredient that you can apply on your baby dry scalp. This ingredient is safe and secure form any chemical so it is a natural healing process that will help your baby to get rid of this situation.
Just apply it directly on the scalp of baby and leave for few minutes. After passing some time rinse your baby hairs and use this remedy until you start to see the results.
Make a scalp mask of mashed banana and apply it on your baby’s scalp that will make their skin soft. Leave the mask for a few minutes and then wash their hairs. Banana has great properties that will help a child to get rid of baby dry scalp condition.