Numbness can occur in any part of our body. Whether we talk about our legs, arms or scalp, there could be multiple reasons behind the numbness. Numbness can be described as the feeling where the particular part of our body tends to fall asleep. This feeling is caused due to the improper supply of blood in the veins. According to the experts, the supply of the blood is interrupted due to the immense pressure at the particular place.
For instance, if you have started to feel numbness in your arms then, you might have placed your arm in the wrong position or it might be under some kind of pressure. Similarly, the numbness can also be caused on our scalp. The reasons behind the scalp numbness are not always associated with the pressure. However, they are linked with the improper working mechanism of our skin cells which ultimately forces are head to create the numbness
What is Scalp Numbness?
Scalp numbness is the skin condition in which the head tends to become unresponsive to the human touch. Your head might start feeling extremely tight and pressurized without any underlying cause. Scalp numbness is capable of making head sensation very uncomfortable for the people. Most of the people have this perception that numbness simply means no pain. But numbness is the indication for some of the head problem. In some of the serious cases, scalp numbness might be informing you about some of the head injury, nerve damage, or any other diseases associated with the scalp.
Scalp numbness is usually common in those people who have gone through some kind of head surgery in the past. If you have started to feel the scalp numbness. Which is also backed by the needle and pins sensation at the particular area. Then, that particular situation might be called as paresthesia. Paresthesia is the serious vein related issue. Which needs to be diagnosed and treated on time. If you are also observing the same symptoms then, it is better to see your doctor as soon as possible because early diagnosis will help you in reducing the chances of all sort of adversities.
Some of the characteristics of scalp numbness which can help you in identifying the problem in the right manner are discussed in the section below:
- In scalp numbness, you might feel like that some electric-like substance is continuously passing through your head. You might not feel any pain but once numbness is gone, you might start feeling some extra pressure. The pinning and needling like feeling are also associated with the same condition.
- A patient who goes through scalp numbness also complains about continuous tingling, burning, and sharp feeling. You are also expected to face a little pain in your neck and shoulder.
- Blurred vision and another sort of disturbance in the eyesight is another symptom of scalp numbness. If you don’t have a short vision and other eye-sight issues. Then, doubling of objects is another symptom of scalp numbness.
- Stiffness in the neck, shoulder backed by the fever might also be giving an indication about the scalp numbness. If you have started to experience extreme pain in your neck which is going towards your head. Then, we recommend you to see your doctor because some patients are also exposed to the danger of sudden numbness attack. Which is usually more dangerous.
- The bull’s eye rash on any part of the body including high-level numbness on the scalp is another major symptom.
- The prolonged scalp numbness without any prior health issue should also be considered as a symptom.
Scalp Numbness Causes:
There can be a number of reasons behind the scalp numbness. Just like any other problems, scalp numbness is the skin condition. Which can be backed by some of the serious or minimal skin problems.
Some of the common reasons and causes of scalp numbness are as follows:
Irritation Due to Chemicals:
The overuse of several chemicals can also lead to the scalp numbness. If you are a frequent user of chemical shampoos, hair styling products or other chemicals. Which are used on the scalp then, you are no doubt expected to face the scalp numbness!
The over-usage of these products not only makes your scalp numb. However, in the long-run, it also increases the chances of eczema on the scalp.
People who frequently use bleach on their scalp for the dyeing purposes are also expected to face a certain level of scalp numbness due to the bleach burn on the scalp. It is important to understand that not all the chemicals are suitable for all people. Therefore, before using any product, you should carefully read the product description in order to identify the chemicals. Which might be harmful to your scalp.
Women usually complain about the scalp numbness during the monthly time cycle, pregnancy or during the menopause. Hormonal problems are capable of changing the entire mechanism of our body. Therefore, this issue can also manipulate our skin cells thus giving birth to untimely tingling. Females of younger or middle age are also expected to complain about this problem before, during or after their monthly periods.
In case of excessive tingling and prolonged numbness, you should consult your doctor and ask for the special medications for reducing the overall effect.
An Indication of Skin Problem:
Some of the hidden skin problems are also capable of triggering the overall work mechanism of numbness on the scalp. Skin problems like the birth of spots on scalp, flaky scalp and excessive dandruff might be another reason behind the numbness.
Disturbance In Skin Cells:
The cells on our scalp are comparatively sensitive than the cells on other parts of our body. Any sort of malfunctioning in the skin cells can cause a lot of problems with our scalp. For instance, the overproduction of oil or malfunctioning of sebum glands can force our head to produce the excess oil which will ultimately lead to uncountable head problems.
Similarly, any sort of internal disturbance can trigger our head to go into the numbness phase. If the numbness is of prolonged nature then, you can easily opt for the medications. Which will effectively help in reducing the feeling without leaving any adverse impacts!
Physical & Internal Issues:
Physical and internal changes in our body are also capable of causing the scalp numbness. People who face severe anxiety or any sort of physical problems such as injuries are expected to feel the numbness in their head on the timely basis. Such type of scalp numbness is temporary in nature and can be cured with the help of a few prescribed medications based on the person’s condition.
Treatment for Scalp Numbness:
It is hard to find the one definite treatment for the scalp numbness because different people tend to face this problem due to different reasons. If you want to get rid of this problem then, you are supposed to treat the underlying cause.
For instance, if you are facing the scalp numbness due to excessive anxiety or the hormonal issues. Then, you might take those medicines which can help in curing the underlying problems. Once the underlying problems are cured then, it would be easier to get rid of the associated problems.
- In case of the excessive scalp numbness. You can use the ice pack and place it on your head for a shorter period of time. The ice pack will help in boosting the blood flow and regulating it to other parts of the skin.
- Taking care of your scalp and practicing the right hygiene is another way of avoiding the scalp numbness. Try to avoid consuming the junk food or other carb items. This routine will not only reduce the chances of numbness, it will also make your hair stronger and beautiful.
- Try exercising on the daily basis. Daily exercise will help in regulating the blood flow throughout the body thus reducing the chances of excessive pressure on any part of the body.
- You can also use several moisturizing shampoos and creams for keeping your scalp healthier. The natural shampoo will help in removing the dead skin cells and will also facilitate in regulating all those factors. Which hold the potential of making your scalp numb without any prior reason.
- Try to cover your head before going out in the sun. This trick can protect your head against all sort of possible harms.
Effective Scalp Care Routine:
- Set the proper hair care routine for your scalp so that you can minimize the possibility of any sort of hair or scalp problems to the greater extent.
- Properly exfoliate your hair on the timely basis in order to regulate your cells and get rid of the dead skin cells. Which are capable of manipulating the entire working mechanism of cells on your head. You can either opt for the professional help or you can use the home-made exfoliation remedies for best results.
- Cut the use of excessive chemicals or drugs which can cause an issue for your scalp. If you take drugs or other alcoholic products on the daily basis. Then, you might need to reduce the amount in order to see the effective results.
- Avoid abusing the prescription. Sometimes scalp numbness is also caused due to the overdosage of the prescribed drugs. You should always consult your doctor before taking any medicine because every medicine has certain side effects. Which can play a major part in ruining your overall health!
- In order to avoid the numbness, keep moving your head or get yourself indulged into the exercise so that the blood could reach your head in the right manner.
Who doesn’t want to have the perfectly grown hair? Which is free of all the potential problems? Well, for achieving this goal, you are not only supposed to take the right care of your hair. You should also be able to set a proper routine. Which could help you in having the fuller and healthy scalp.
Most of the people own the perception that scalp numbness is only common in females but the study suggests that any person can face this issue regardless of their gender and age. The only way of avoiding this issue is the proper care. If you are able to understand the importance of giving proper time to your scalp then, nothing could hold your hair from growing in the most beautiful manner.
Do you have any questions or queries? Feel free to leave your comments below.
You can also ask our experts about any of the skin and hair related problems. They’ll get back to you pretty soon.