Drooling is one of the common side effects associated with the teething. However, most people fail to understand the fact that teething is not only a reason behind the drool rash. Drool rash can also be triggered by the excessive salvia falling on the cheeks, mouth, neck, and chest.
Drooling itself is a natural phenomenon. Drool rash can be little dangerous for your baby. It is important to take the right precautions before it gets late.
Causes of Drool Rash
Some of the symptoms which help to understand the problem of your little one are mentioned in the section below. If you have started to observe any of the symptoms. Then, you should decide to take your baby to the doctor or start the teething medicines, if you are sure about the thing.
- Your baby will start crying and will become irritable to the smallest of the things around.
- Your baby will feel very unsettled at many times. For instance, he won’t be able to sleep properly which will result in a changed sleeping pattern
- Drooling of saliva from your child’s mouth during the sleep is another one of the major symptoms of the drool rash. You will observe this symptom on the very excessive level during the initial days of the drool rash
- Redness on cheeks or around the lips can also help you in understanding the fact that your child is entering into the phase of teething and you should decide to opt for the proper treatment
- If your child is not having the redness on his cheeks but on his chest or area around the neck then, this factor is also counted as the important symptom of the drool rash. Chest and neck rashes are usually triggered by the excessive drooling during the sleep.
- Excessive pulling or rubbing on ears. If your little one has suddenly started to pull his ears then, he is suffering from the drool rash.
- Gnawing on fingers or on any other item which they usually put in their teeth. During the teething phase, a child tends to get the relief from putting something under their mouth
- During the drool rash, the gums of the child start becoming inflamed therefore, they tend to become very picky about their solid food. For instance, they will be more comfortable while eating the liquid food rather than the solid one.
- Your child might start vomiting on a frequent basis due to the indigestion problems which are associated with the drool rash.
- Not all, but some child also tend to develop the nappy rash during the teething phase. The children who have sensitive skin tend to have this problem. It is important to understand that teething produce more saliva which ultimately leads to the production of the gastric juices. It consists of the higher amount of the acid and tend to impact the digestive system of the child in an adverse manner.
Treatment for Drool Rash
Treatment is always needed for the better health of your baby. We know that this phase can be a little disturbing for you but the better you take care of yourself and of your baby, the better results you will be able to see in lesser time.
Although we won’t recommend you to go for any of the OTC treatment for curing the drool rash because all the OTC medicines consist of the high level of chemicals which are dangerous for the skin of your baby. You should always try to go for the organic items. Organic creams are more beneficial and tend to provide higher relief in lesser time.
It is always a better idea to use the petroleum jelly or medicated moisturizer for keeping your baby’s skin secure.
Before opting for any of the drool rash medicine, you should try to consult your doctor because every child consists of the different digestive system and they tend to react differently when get exposed to different kinds of the medication. Even if you are aware of the problem then, still get a recommendation from your child’s doctor in order to avoid any sort of problems in the future.
Additionally, you should avoid using the teething gels because they consist of the harmful ingredients and tend to cause rashes inside the baby’s mouth.
- You should try using Emollient cream because it helps in controlling the water production inside the mouth which will ultimately result in the lesser drooling or rashes near the teething place
- You can also use the lansinoh lanoline cream. It will help in reducing the sensitivity of the skin which will help in reducing the redness on the cheeks, chest or other areas of the skin.
- Vaseline is another one of the effective remedies which can help in reducing the intensity of the drool rash and could make the skin less prone to all kind of rashes.
Home Remedies for Drool Rash
Some of the effective home remedies for the drool rash. Which reduce the overall intensity and provide relief to your child are discussed in the section below. Before opting for any remedy, try performing the test on the little part of your baby’s skin in order to avoid problems.
- You should rub the sore area of the baby’s gums with the help of your fingers. You should use two fingers and rub them properly over your baby’s gums in order to relieve the pain.
- Should try to make the banana’s pieces for your child so that they can have better food intake their teething process. Cut banana’s into small pieces and put it into the refrigerator so that they taste
- Try to feed your kid with the help of the cup if they are unable to take the milk through the nurse or the feeder. You can also use the dropping remedy if your child is unable to drink the milk with the help of the milking cup.
- You should give the pain reliever to your baby just once before they are going to bed. The excessive dose could lead to more drooling during the teething phase.
- Take petroleum jelly in your hands and apply it slowly on the drool rash of your baby. The petroleum jelly will work as a moisturizer and will help in avoiding the presence of dry patches on the skin during the rash treatment phase.
- Always keep a dry warm cloth with you in order to clean the saliva from your baby’s mouth. Slowly dab the cloth on the baby’s mouth so that you can easily clean the area. Never rub the cloth as it will cause the rash and other problems.
Prevention Tip for Drool Rash
Some of the important prevention tips which help your baby in getting rid of the drool rash are mentioned below. Before opting for any tip, make sure that the skin of your baby is perfectly coordinating with the treatment in order to avoid all sort of problems
- It is important to understand that you can seriously not neglect the drooling phase. You can surely opt for the procedure which can help you in avoiding the drool rash. One of such phenomena’s is associated with keeping your baby’s mouth clean.
- You should try to keep a warm soft cloth with you in order to clean the drool. The earlier you will clean the drool, the lower risk your baby will have of developing the drool rash.
- While cleaning your child’s drool, you should only dab the skin rather than rubbing. Since children have sensitive skin, therefore, rubbing of clothes could also lead to the rashes or redness on the skin.
- If your baby is drooling on a frequent basis then, you should put a bib on their shirt . The shirt doesn’t get dirty during the phase. In order to avoid the chances of rashes on the neck on the chest, you should change the bib on a frequent basis. Wash it with warm water in order to avoid the spreading of germs and other bacteria’s
- During the teething phase, you shouldn’t force your child to eat hard food. They wouldn’t be able to do so because of the inflammation on their gums. Try making the customize recipes for your babies so that they can have enough of the nutrients and can also enjoy their food.
- As a parent, this prevention tip could be a little harder but you should try to follow it. Avoid hugging, and kissing your baby because this habit could lead to the rashes on the skin due to the physical transfer of the germs.
- You should try to use the cold teething toys. You should always use the fridge for making the teething toys. Never use the freezer for the procedure because it will make the toys harder and make it difficult for the child to go through the phase.
- You should always try to use mild body washes in order to wash the body of your baby. Harsh and chemical-based bath washes are capable of increasing the intensity of the rash thus leading to a lot of future problems
- Try to use those detergents for the washing purposes which are free from all sort of chemicals and fragrances. Fragmented detergents can increase the chance of spreading the allergy and drool rash all over the body because of the high intensity of the chemicals.
- Additionally, the chemicals which are present in the fragmented detergents are highly harmful to the sensitive skin of a baby. It increases the level of itching and irritation in a short period of time.
- If you have started to observe the cracks in the drool rash which are also backed by the breakouts. You should decide to visit your doctor as soon as possible. These breakouts might be giving an indication of an underlying health issue such as problems in the digestive system. Additionally, if your baby is in pain and getting weepy without any reason then, you should also visit your doctor.
- If you are unable to see any improvement in the condition of your baby’s rashes. After one week of the treatment then, you should visit your doctor in order to avoid any sort of problems.
We know that it is very hard for you to see your child in pain. Should remember that fact you wouldn’t be able to see any effective results without opting for the proper prevention tips. It is important to understand the fact that treatment cannot be made useful if you are unable to make the best out of the prevention tips.
We hope this article will help you in solving drool rash problem and you would see your baby in comfort. We understand the fact that your comfort is totally associated with the happiness of your baby.
Any questions or thoughts? Share your views with us by leaving your comments below.
If you are suffering from any kind of hair or skin related issues and want an expert advice. Then, feel free to leave your comments below and our experts will get back to you pretty soon.